I absolutely love biscotti, and chocolate biscotti is my favorite. This recipe blends the flavors of chocolate, coffee, and almond in a very pleasing way. See if it doesn't become one of your most popular recipes! It is certainly prized at my house!
Delicious Chocolate Almond Biscotti
1 cup lightly toasted almonds (roughly chopped)
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. espresso powder (or other instant coffee powder)
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 300° F. and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Chop chocolate chips in a food processor with the brown sugar and the espresso powder until fine. Set aside.
3. In separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. I usually also mix the dry ingredients together with a wire whisk to make sure the baking soda is well blended.
4. In bowl of electric mixer, beat eggs with the vanilla and almond extracts. Add the chocolate/brown sugar mixture and blend.
5. Add the dry mixture to the mixing bowl and mix till well blended.
6. Fold in the nuts.
7. Turn dough out onto floured surface. (The dough will be sticky.) Dust hands with flour and divide dough in two. Form two logs about two inches in diameter and nine or ten inches long. Place about five or six inches apart on the cookie sheet and press down just enough to flatten logs slightly. (Dough will spread during baking.)
8. Bake 40 minutes. Allow loaves to cool on the pan for ten minutes. Then, using a large metal spatula, transfer the loaves to cutting surface. With a sharp knife (I use an electric carving knife), cut loaves into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces. Place on their sides back on the parchment in the cookie sheet.
9. Bake fifteen minutes and turn slices over. Bake another 15 minutes. Yields about 30 biscotti.